Listed below are the activities that I participated in since my last report:
· Attended Labour Day Event which included a march, guest speakers and a BBQ.
· Participated in the PSAC National Day of Action in support of the “We are All Affected” campaign. Members from Nova Scotiajumped on a bus to Peter MacKay’s office in New Glasgow and Antigonish. Events occurred across Canadato demonstrate that we are standing together to defend quality public services.
· Attended, as a delegate, the Union of Environment Workers (UEW) Regional conference.
· Participated on National Women’s conference call. We learned about the role of the new National Human Rights Committee and the PSAC Women’s Program going forward on Childcare, Violence against Aboriginal Women, Reproductive Rights, Pay Equity, Violence against women and girls and Economic Prospects for Canadian girls.
· Completed a short on-line course regarding austerity measures.
· Atlantic Council meetings took place. In addition to the Council session, I attended the Human Rights committee meeting and chaired the Women’s Committee meeting. The women’s committee brought forward a recommendation to hold joint Women’s Conferences in 2013.
· Preliminary discussion took place regarding the 2013 International Women’s Day conference in HRM. The Holiday Inn Harbourview in Dartmouthhas been booked for Friday, March 8 and planning will continue.
· Organized a purple ribbon campaign at my workplace. On October 25, we wore ribbons to stand in solidarity and demonstrate that we are all affected by the cuts and that we oppose them.
· Attended the Leadership Summit that took place in Ottawa, the theme was “Act Up, Act Out, Act Now: Creating change One Action at a Time”. This was an excellent forum of education on many different subjects. My training included; public speaking and representing members with mental health issues, I also had the opportunity to meet with the women’s directors from across Canada; we shared stories about our challenges and accomplishments.
· Joined the NSFL Women’s Committee. We are finalizing the program for the Women’s Conference scheduled for March 1-3, 2013in Greenwood. The theme will be “Women and the Media”.
· Participated in conference call to discuss the budget and finalize the date and event location of the Regional Women’s conference. The Maritimes and Newfoundlandand Labrador Conferences will be held together May 24-26, 20 13 in Antigonish.
· Wrote to my MP, Peter Stoffer, to request his support in voting against Bill C-377. He called to let me know that he would be voting, in our favour, and against the bill.
· Our Halifax RWC adopted a family; we donated items for the Christmas dinner and/or gifts for the family.
· Participated in conference call with Chairs of RWC regarding the organizing of the Regional Women’s Conference.
Other ongoing activities that I participated in included; keeping the RWC’s and women’s representatives abreast of events and activities that affected them such as the awareness campaign on Rona Ambrose, the Minister for Status of Women Canada who voted in support of motion 312.
I continue to attend the RWC, Area Council, RUMCC and Regional WFA committee meetings; handle grievances and represent my local as PSAC OHS Employee Co-Chair and local President.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time; I would be happy to discuss further any of the ongoing activities or answer any questions you may have.
Rhonda Doyle LeBlanc
PSAC Maritimes Women’s Director