The Atlantic Region of the Public Service Alliance of Canada is pleased to offer Unions Work for Women: A PSAC course for active women members. This advanced course is intended for a diverse group of women participants – women from all equity seeking groups, trans women, cis-women, genderqueer women, non-binary people who are significantly female-identified, from different geographic or rural/urban areas, from different employer groups and PSAC structures, who are active in their union, or in their community, or on specific issues that matter to them, who are young workers and who are not.
The goal of the course is to build a better union, better workplaces and a better society by encouraging and supporting active PSAC women in their struggle for fairness, equality and social justice. Course materials cover:
- the herstory and current work of the labour and social justice movements;
- the fragility of the movements’ gains, especially in the current economic and political context;
- what it means to be part of a movement for change, for equality and for social justice;
- building increased confidence in participant leadership skills and knowledge;
- working strategically with other activists;
- taking on a leadership role in the PSAC, in our workplaces and in our communities.
Applicants must have a minimum of Talking Union Basics or Our Communities, Our Union, Our Rights: An introduction to the PSAC for Indigenous Members. They must also be active in their unions or communities.
This three-day course will be offered in each of the in the following locations on the following dates:
- Halifax, NS – 8:30am-4:30pm, May 3-5, 2019 – for members from Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
- Moncton, NB – 8:30am-4:30pm, May 24-26, 2019 – for members from New Brunswick (bilingual format)
- St. John’s, NL – 8:30am-4:30pm, June 14-16, 2019 – for members from Newfoundland and Labrador
Members are invited to apply online at http://psacatlantic.ca/application-unions-work-women or may complete the attached application form. Applications should be emailed to Halifax-Registration@psac-afpc.com or faxed to (902) 443-8291. The deadline to apply is Friday, March 15, 2019.
Expense and travel entitlements are outlined below. If you have any questions, please contact the Halifax Regional Office at (902) 443-3541 or toll-free at 1-800-839-6661.
|Unions Work for Women Application Form||123.96 KB|
|Unions Work for Women Travel and Expense Entitlement\||59.33 KB|
|Unions Work for Women Poster||148.21 KB|